The different olfactory families
Do you know the different olfactory families?
When choosing a perfume or beauty product, you are probably aware of the importance of scent. Olfaction, or the sense of smell, plays a key role in how we perceive and enjoy cosmetic products. But how much do you really know about the different olfactory families and how they are used to create captivating fragrances?
1. Olfactory families
Olfactory families are categories of fragrances that share similar olfactory characteristics. They allow perfumes to be classified according to their dominant notes, which helps create a common understanding of different fragrances. Each olfactory family is made up of many ingredients, and perfumes are often a combination of several of these families to create complex and unique compositions.
2. The main olfactory families
- Florals: Floral perfumes are the most widespread and popular. They capture the essence of flowers and are often described as fresh, light and romantic. Floral notes include rose, jasmine, lily and lavender.
- Oriental: Oriental perfumes are rich and sensual. They incorporate warm, spicy notes like vanilla, cinnamon, and patchouli. These fragrances are often associated with seduction and mystery.
- Woody : Woody scents are earthy, masculine, and reminiscent of the forest. Woody notes include cedar, sandalwood and vetiver. They are often used in unisex perfumes.
- Citrus: Citrus scents are fresh, lively and reminiscent of citrus fruits. Citrus notes include lemon, orange, grapefruit and bergamot. These scents are perfect for sunny days.
- Gourmands: Gourmet perfumes evoke smells of desserts and delicacies. Sweet notes such as vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon and caramel are common in this family.
3. Combinations and hybrids
The magic of perfumes often lies in the skillful combination of different olfactory families. A fragrance can be both floral and oriental, creating a unique experience for the wearer. These blends create scents that are both complex and captivating.
4. How to choose the perfect perfume
Choosing the perfect perfume largely depends on your personality, preferences and the occasion. Floral scents are perfect for spring, while oriental scents are more appropriate for special evenings. Citrus scents are perfect for everyday use, while gourmand scents add a touch of sweetness to your routine.
Now that you know more about the different scent families, it's time to explore your own preference and discover the scents that suit you best. Fragrances are a form of personal expression, and each of us has a unique story to tell through our favorite fragrance.
So, what will you choose for your next olfactory adventure?
At Onivo Cosmetics, we offer you a varied range of perfumes and beauty products to meet all your olfactory desires. Explore our collection to find the perfect fragrance that reflects your personality and style.